Marienthal Cemetery is located on the north side of highway 96 in the southeast corner of the west half of the southeast quarter of section 17-18-35.
Jacob Biel, who originally owned the land, either sold or donated it to the Marienthal Town Company. The county records fail to show this transaction.
In the Diamond Jubilee Book, 1893-1968, a record is found of the first death in the Marienthal district, that of Joseph Kreutzer, son of Aloys Kreutzer. He was buried April 23, 1896 having been killed accidentally on the railroad. In July of the same year, Aloys Kreutzer, the father, met his death. Following them in death were John Gassmann, age four months, in December, 1896; Joseph Quint, age forty-seven, in January, 1899; Anton Ernst, one and one-half years old, in June 1899; Peter Biel, age five months, in June 1898; Elizabeth Ernst, age three and one-half years, in June 1899 and Mary Ernst, age five years, three days later, both dying of diphtheria.
Records found in the county register of deeds office show that the Marienthal Town Company sold three acres in the southeast corner of the west half of the southeast quarter of section 17-18-35 to John J. Hennessy for a cemetery on June 19, 1907, for the amount of one dollar, Jacob Biel was president of the board of directors of the Marienthal Town Company, C. P. Bieker was secretary, Henry Paul, Annie Ernst, and Magdalina Kreutzer were members. This action is recorded in Volume 19, page 167. Hugh Glenn was the register of deeds at the time. The Rev. John Hennessy was the bishop at Wichita, Kansas, from 1888 to 1920.
In Volume 27, page 305, I found a deed transfer dated in 1921 from Rev. John J. Glennon of St. Louis and Rev. J. Henry Lihen of Denver, Colorado, of the first part and August J. Schwerten as bishop of the second part. There was also a trustees deed for the same tract of land signed by John J. Glennon and C. H. Winkelmann, trustees, on December 28, 1940.
This cemetery was included in the Wichita County Cemetery District. Since
that time a cable fence has been built and an irrigation and sprinkler system
installed. The ornamental fence disappeared mysteriously as preparations were
being made to put a cable fence around the rest of the cemetery. The district
board has taken care of the cemetery since 1962.
Courtesy of ‘History of Wichita County Kansas – Volume 1’. Compiled by John K. Glanville.
Map of Marienthal Cemetery-click on the thumbnail below to view a larger version then use your browsers back button to return to this page.
Picture of the Marienthal Cemetery taken April 12, 2000-click on the thumbnail below for a larger version then use your browsers back button to return to this page.